News & Events
Liberals Say ‘Yes’ to Three New TAFE Centres
13 February 2017
Thousands of Western Australian TAFE students will be training at three new state-of-the-art facilities funded through the partial sale of Western Power, ensuring they are best placed to get a job in the industries driving our economy.
- $45 million specialist hospitality and animal science centres at Murdoch campus
- $20 million to construct new Armadale TAFE campus
- $18.4 million to construct new specialist hospitality and tourism training centre at Peel campus
- More than 1,000 jobs created in construction of the three TAFE facilities
- About 5,000 TAFE students will access the new facilities
Deputy Premier and Training & Workforce Development Minister Liza Harvey said a re-elected Liberal Government would use the Next Generation Education Fund to build new specialist training centres at the existing Peel and Murdoch TAFE campuses, while Armadale TAFE would be relocated to a brand new campus.
“This will ensure Western Australian TAFE students are being trained using the best equipment and resources in the skill areas where we know there is demand for graduates,” Ms Harvey said.
“This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity. The partial sale of Western Power will allow us to bring older TAFEs up to 21st Century standards and stimulate the economy. These three TAFE projects alone will create 1,000 jobs in construction.”
Ms Harvey said building the world class training facilities would also attract international students, further broadening the Western Australian economy.
Small Business Minister Sean L’Estrange said along with the modern facilities, greater industry collaborations would be built to ensure students were graduating with contemporary skills employers were looking for.
“Under a re-elected Liberal Government TAFE students will be high quality graduates, equipped with the skills to get a job and then hit the ground running when they join the workforce,” Mr L’Estrange said.
The TAFE projects would:
- Build new $45 million hospitality, tourism, vet nurse and animal science centres at Murdoch campus
- Build new $18.4 million hospitality, tourism & events management centre at Peel campus
- Build new $20 million Armadale campus, relocating students from dated facilities
- Create 1,000 jobs in construction
- Accommodate more than 5,000 students
“The Liberal-led Government has rebuilt Western Australia, replacing the schools, TAFEs and hospitals which Labor allowed to fall into disrepair and only a re-elected Liberal Government can be trusted to continue that work,” Ms Harvey said.
- The Liberal-led Government has invested $288 million in TAFE facilities since 2009