Candidate for West Swan
A small business advocate, an active community and environment campaigner, family focused and a firm believer in less red tape, regulations and taxes.
Rod Henderson is actively involved in the community and is a resident of the West Swan locality, having lived there for 26 years with his wife and now adult children. Having raised a family in the area and knowing the everyday difficulties that families face in West Swan, Rod is also an active participant in the community. Family is the true foundation of Rod’s focus and in West Swan the economic, social and local issues are what he understands and fights tirelessly for. He will continue to do so for your family if elected to the Seat of West Swan.
Rod started his career in electronics, working for the Federal Government operating and maintaining the ABC radio and television network throughout WA. With this foundation Rod then started his own business, which still operates under the guidance of fulltime management. This leaves Rod free to support family needs and to undertake community work. Rod’s small business knowledge, in conjunction with his local history, allows him to understand the West Swan Community not only as a father, a small business operator or a community member but also as a dedicated advocate for economic growth within the area.
Rod has been active in many community groups and associations throughout West Swan, including the:
- Malaga and Districts Business Association – President (2006 - 2013)
- Jobs Australia Midland – Board Member (2003 - 2012),
- Ballajura Community College (BCC) - Board Member (2008 – Current)
- Perth NRM (Natural Resource Management) – Board Member (2007 - 2015)
- Swan Valley Progress Association – Founder (2006 – 2015)
- Shire of Swan – Elected Councillor Swan Valley Ward (1995 – 1999)
- City of Swan - Elected Councillor Swan Valley / Gidgegannup Ward (2015 – Current)
Rod’s active interest working in the community has delivered clear results. His efforts contributed to:
- the upgrading of Lord Street from Ellenbrook to Reid Highway,
- the construction of the new purpose built Ballajura Police Station,
- the successful lobbying for the Reid Highway and Alexander Drive overpass,
- securing of the construction for the Malaga Drive and Reid Highway overpass,
- attaining funding for the freeway project to Ellenbrook, known as Northlink, as chairman of the Northeast Region Advocacy Group, which worked to secure funding from State and Federal Liberal Governments.
Rod’s determined efforts have contributed to a commitment from the Barnett Liberal Government that will involve the construction of a full interchange at Reid Highway and Tonkin Highway. A freeway to Ellenbrook, future Tonkin Highway extension planning for a highway and rail line through to Yanchep linking into Banksia Grove are also in the works under the Perth Transport Plan.
Sporting a strong family, community and business background, Rod understands the values that we all aspire to – a better life for our children and grandchildren, better schools and hospitals, ongoing police support and realistic transport solutions for all.