Zak Kirkup and the Liberals will commit $167 million to upgrade Peel Health Campus, with construction work to commence in 2021.
The commitment includes matching Labor’s $152 million election promise and adding another $15 million to expand the emergency department and include a cardiothoracic theatre.
“We have been fighting for years to fix Peel Health Campus so that residents in the region have access to the level of health care they deserve,” Liberal leader and Shadow Minister for Health Zak Kirkup said.
“As the Member for Dawesville and a resident in Mandurah, I know just how important it is that our local hospital gets upgraded for a safer, smarter today and a brighter, better tomorrow.
“Peel Health Campus is the major healthcare provider for the Peel region which is one of the fastest growing communities in Australia.
“Upgrading the facility will also create more local jobs, contributing to our plan to create 200,000 new jobs over the next five years.
“Labor has failed to address the concerns of the community in the Peel Region in four years of government and will not even commence works to upgrade Peel Health Campus until 2023. The people of Peel deserve better.
“The Liberals commit to starting work on the upgrade in 2021 as a matter of priority so that the hospital is expanded to meet the growing needs of the region.”
The upgrades will include:
- A total of 153 new public inpatient beds comprising:
- 33 beds returned to the State from the current private ward of Peel Health Campus
- 90 new public inpatient beds
- A 30-bed inpatient mental health unit
- Four additional operating theatres
- Two additional procedure rooms
- Emergency Department expansion including Mental Health Observation Area
- Curtin University Training School
- Cardiothoracic specialist theatre